Elekma  Autoracing

Volvo B30 camshaft identification

• 6 Vastauksia
  • 2445 Lukukerrat

0 jäsentä ja 1 Vieras katselee tätä aihetta.

Poissa Koitk

• Luxe
  • www.vrcf.fi
Volvo B30 camshaft identification
« : 13.03.2017, 11:51:06 »
Hello

I'm sorry to make this english topic here to the finnish forum, but maybe someone can help me to identify this camshaft?
It came from Volvo 164, I'm quite sure its not C grind, previous owner said it has sport cam. And also the head has been ported and engine has
3x 45 DHLA's and metal camshaft gears, so it's not stock engine. But the camshaft has worn beyond use and I'd like to know the shaft spec, before finding a replacement.
Even with worn cam lobes the valve travelled over 10,4 mm.
So can anyone find this camshaft familliar or know what it is? Or is it just volvo K grind?

It says 717 on the end

Sorry again about the language not being finnish.  S*

Poissa sopanja

• De Luxe
  • www.vrcf.fi
Vs: Volvo B30 camshaft identification
« Vastaus #1 : 13.03.2017, 14:05:39 »
There is a stance "717" in the end of the cam? Maybe the cam profile is Kormu 717?

Poissa kio

• De Luxe
  • www.vrcf.fi
« Vastaus #2 : 13.03.2017, 14:13:21 »
Yes it looks like Timo's motor 717 which is a well behaving street cam. A K cam lift is 10,8 mm

Poissa Koitk

• Luxe
  • www.vrcf.fi
« Vastaus #3 : 13.03.2017, 16:16:30 »
Yes, it has a 717 on the end.  Thanks for the quick responses, I contacted the manufacturer asking if they still make it for B30.
Has anyone tried KG trimning KG6 camshaft on the B30, would it be compareable to the timo 717?
 I have also cheked catcams http://www.catcams.com/products/camshafts/datasheet.aspx?ENGINE_id=220&CAMSETUP_id=920 and schneidercams makes reasonably priced cams I have also contacted TG motor for TG 863 but thats just too expensive for me (over 700€) . 
Or should I go with some other camshaft, I'm thinking of having nice street cam, wouln't mind a little rough idle? 

Koit

Poissa kio

• De Luxe
  • www.vrcf.fi
« Vastaus #4 : 13.03.2017, 20:18:03 »
KG is as good as they come, TG sells only brand new steel camshfts not reground hence the price

Poissa The_OttoB

• Grand Touring
  • www.vrcf.fi
« Vastaus #5 : 14.03.2017, 13:30:42 »
Yes, it has a 717 on the end.  Thanks for the quick responses, I contacted the manufacturer asking if they still make it for B30.
Has anyone tried KG trimning KG6 camshaft on the B30, would it be compareable to the timo 717?
 I have also cheked catcams http://www.catcams.com/products/camshafts/datasheet.aspx?ENGINE_id=220&CAMSETUP_id=920 and schneidercams makes reasonably priced cams I have also contacted TG motor for TG 863 but thats just too expensive for me (over 700€) . 
Or should I go with some other camshaft, I'm thinking of having nice street cam, wouln't mind a little rough idle? 

Koit

Timo 717 is very nice all-round cam. KG 10 is almost similar, the problem here is poor quality of cast iron on those GWC marked camshafts. Pay special attention to your valve lifters, and their bores. Choose oil with high amount of zinc. And get lucky and find cam for regrind from later (73-75) B30, cams were made from different material that can be hardened.

KG17 might be more lumpy cam if you want more character for you engine.

Do you have tubular headers?

1000 LH-miestä puhuu autonsa lastuttamisesta ja niistä 100 saa ostettua lastun. 10 polttaa omansa. Vain yksi on nopein. Kaksitoista.

Poissa Koitk

• Luxe
  • www.vrcf.fi
« Vastaus #6 : 14.03.2017, 16:41:02 »

I hope the picture is visible. I have the 45DHLA's with theese cast aluminium headers they are marked E-TUNA on the bottom side. I think the engine is reworked in Finland aprox 25 years ago. I only have the car for about a year, so its hard to say what kind of oil the engine has run on. I myself use Motul 2100 15W-50 it should be API SH/ CF compatible. I know that if I put the new cam in I should run with the zink additive to work the cam in.
Well the KG6 just happen to be on sale by one member and it has the numbered lifters included, supposedly has run for 3000km and lobe surfaces are in excellent condition.

Autoracing  KL-varaosat